7 Incredible Charcoal Soap Benefits
There has been an increase in the use of activated charcoal in the beauty industry over the last few years. Charcoal soap is one of the most popular beauty products in the market today, and it's due to the numerous benefits activated charcoal offers for the face, such as antiaging, acne treatment, preventing dull skin, etc. In this article, we're going to discuss about 7 incredible charcoal soap benefits and what is the science behind the magic.
Types of Charcoal
Before we learn about the charcoal soap benefits, let us look into the different kinds of charcoal.
Charcoal is divided into two categories - Regular charcoal and activated charcoal.
Regular charcoal is the one you use in your barbecue events. They aren't activated, and they incorporate toxic elements that harm humans.
Activated charcoal is very different from regular charcoal. You might have already seen it listed as one of the ingredients in various soaps. It is derived by uncovering a dense carbon material at very high temperatures.
Then, heated air or steam is wielded to activate the material. The substance becomes more permeable and has an additional surface area for absorbing and binding a combination of gases and liquids.
The ingredients generally used in activated charcoal are shells, peat, fruit pits, wood, bones, pulp, etc.
How Exactly Activated Charcoal Works?
Charcoal is formed by heating organic materials like coconut shells, wood, or peat. The bonding between activated charcoal and other substances facilitates the adhesion of molecules to their surface. This is called adsorption. Charcoal has an extremely vast surface area because of its pores. It is so effective at soaking up the toxins from the skin that even a very tiny amount can get it done.
The capacity of activated charcoal to stick to toxins has steered its usage as a treatment for overdoses and poisonings. It is also used for purifying water.
Read Also: Best Soaps for Acne
Benefits of Using Activated Charcoal Soap
1. Deep Cleansing and Detoxification
Activated charcoal can help you achieve your skin goals by removing toxins, impurities, and excess oil from your face, making it look clean and relaxed. Its detoxification properties help in the following:
- Unclogging pores: Activated charcoal helps remove dead skin cells and impurities from your face. It can also assist in reducing blackheads and whiteheads.
- Counteracts oily skin: Activated charcoal absorbs extra sebum produced by your skin. Sebum or natural oil is crucial for retaining the skin's moisture and keeping it protected, but excess sebum can make your face look greasy. Activated charcoal helps balance the oil production in your skin and gives your skin a matte-looking finish. A charcoal soap is suitable for all skin types but is particularly effective for combination and oily skin.
- Antibacterial properties: It can also help inflammation and eliminate skin infections by killing unhealthy fungi and bacteria. This can decrease skin issues caused as a result, like swelling, irritation, and redness of your skin, and prevent blemishes and acne scars.
2. Skin Renewal
Since exfoliation means removing dirt and dead skin cells from your skin, it enhances the texture and appearance of your skin. It also deters acne and clogged pores. Therefore, it is one of the best exfoliating agents.
- Mild Exfoliator: Charcoal exfoliates your skin gently without causing any irritation to your skin. It also helps boost the production of new and healthy skin cells, making you look younger. This also results in a bright and smooth complexion. In addition, charcoal soap also helps decrease signs of ageing, like fine lines and wrinkles.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: The soap also contains anti-inflammatory properties, which help fight infections and neutralize your skin's pH level.
Read Also: Face Pack For Dry Skin
3. Boosts Radiance
Charcoal is well-known for its capacity to reduce dullness in your skin, making it look glowing.
- Stimulates flow of oxygen: Using a charcoal soap not only helps keep your face clear and free from impurities but also improves the flow of oxygen to your skin cells. This helps in increasing the glow of your skin, as well as faster regeneration of skin cells. It also stimulates the production of more elastin and collagen, which are very essential for maintaining the firmness and softness of the skin.
Charcoal is a powerful natural antioxidant that can aid in your skin's fighting against free radicals. These radicals are the primary cause of aging as well as damaged skin.
It is the best anti-oxidant in its carbon form. Charcoal is heated as well as treated to increase its porosity. This makes it capable of attracting impurities, toxins, and harmful chemicals from your face and body. Applying charcoal soap to your body behaves similarly to a magnet and draws out the free radicals in the pores.
- Deters oxidative stress: Free radicals are generated by environmental factors like pollution, UV rays, and smoke. They can damage the skin cells and slot down collagen production.
This protein helps give your skin firmness and elasticity. Slow-down collagen production leads to saggy skin and premature ageing. By eliminating these free radicals, charcoal soap helps prevent inflammation and oxidative stress, which also leads to ageing as well as skin issues.
Read Also: Best Chemical Free Body Wash
How else can you incorporate activated charcoal into your skincare routine?
Now that we have learnt about charcoal soap benefits, let’s look into how to incorporate them into your skincare routine. Here are some ways listed below:
- Face Wash - Various face wash are available in the market containing charcoal as one of the ingredients, so you can either use that or add some amount of activated charcoal powder to your homemade facial cleanser. Start massaging your face for 3-5 minutes after applying the cleanser, and then rinse with water. For best results, this should be repeated twice a day. However, if you have dry skin, always follow this with a hydrating moisturizer.
- Facial mask - You can buy and use a ready-made face mask that includes activated charcoal or make one at home by following simple steps. Start by taking some amount of activated charcoal powder, honey, and aloe vera gel in a glass bowl. Then, add water to it and mix well to make a consistent paste. Apply it on your face and let it stay for around 15 minutes, then wash your face with water. For best results, repeat this process twice a week.
After knowing the charcoal soap benefits we can conclude that activated charcoal is an incredible ingredient to help you achieve better, brighter-looking skin. Using a charcoal soap will reap many benefits for your skin, such as cleansing it and boosting oxygen flow and collagen production. Therefore, you should try it and see the results for yourself.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can charcoal soap be used for all skin types?
Yes, charcoal soap is generally suitable for all skin types. However, individuals with extremely sensitive skin should do a patch test first.
2. How often should I use charcoal soap?
It's recommended to use charcoal soap 2-3 times a week for best results.
3. Can charcoal soap replace my regular cleanser?
Charcoal soap can be used in conjunction with your regular cleanser for a more thorough cleanse.
4. Will charcoal soap make my skin dry?
When used in moderation, charcoal soap shouldn't overly dry the skin. However, individuals with dry skin should follow up with a moisturizer.
5. Are there any side effects of using charcoal soap?
In rare cases, some individuals may experience mild irritation. If this occurs, discontinue use.