Cough And Cold - Ayurvedic Medicine & Treatment
The pandemic brought society to a halt, including the spread of viruses like the common cold and cough. With lockdowns in place, children stayed at home from school, offices were closed, and face masks became ubiquitous. As a result, these viral infections declined. However, now that societies have opened up, these infections have resurfaced.
Cold and cough are primarily caused by viruses transmitted through coughing and sneezing. Young children are especially prone to these infections, with some experiencing 3-12 coughs or colds per year.
While conventional cough and cold medicines can provide relief, Ayurveda offers alternative remedies like Swashkoshsudha Kwath and Panch Tulsi Oil (the best Ayurvedic medicine for cough and cold for a child), which can prevent and speed up the recovery of one from these ailments. Ayurveda also emphasises the importance of a healthy diet to maintain immunity and prevent infections.
The lockdowns may have temporarily halted the spread of some viral infections, but they also deprived us of the necessary exposure needed to maintain population-wide immunity.
Overview of Cough And Cold Problems
Coughing and cold can lead to several different health problems, including:
- Bronchitis (a type of illness in the bronchitis tube which causes a nasty cough).
- H3N2 influenza virus (a type of flu that affects your respiratory system and causes severe illness).
- Sore throat.
- Pertussis (it's a highly contagious respiratory infection).
- Croup (an infection that swells the upper airway, which makes it difficult to breathe).
- Ear infection.
Causes of Cough And Cold
While the causes of cough and cold are numerous, numbering over 200 viruses and other factors, we have compiled a concise list of some of the most common culprits.
- Bronchiolitis: This viral chest infection prevents your infant from breathing correctly.
- Obstructive sleep apnea: OSA is a common disorder that causes chronic coughing.
- Rhinoviruses: This fancy-name virus is the culprit behind several problems like body aches and otitis media.
- Laryngeal pharyngeal reflux: In this condition, the stomach's acid travels upward from the oesophagus into the throat and causes coughing.
- Direct contact with someone who is suffering from flu.
Symptoms Of Cough And Cold
The following are some of the many symptoms that are associated with cough and cold:
- Runny nose.
- Fever (between 101 to 102 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Severe cough.
- Excessive sleepiness.
- Chest infection.
- Noise in breathing.
- Unable to swallow food.
- Fast breathing.
- A rash.
- High temperature lasting for more than four days.
- Swollen glands.
- Severe headache.
- Green mucus stays for more than ten days.
- Runny eyes.
- Blue lips.
- Loss of smell.
Treatment Options For Cough And Cold
There is no denying that catching a cold can be a miserable experience. The symptoms can be particularly tough to deal with in the first few days, but the immune system usually takes care of the virus in due time. However, some symptoms, such as a persistent cough, can linger for up to several weeks after the other symptoms have disappeared.
It is important to note that antibiotics are ineffective against viral infections, including colds and coughs. Overuse of antibiotics can even cause more harm than good by causing bacteria to become resistant to the drugs, making them ineffective in treating serious infections in the future.
When experiencing cold symptoms, a physical examination is usually sufficient for diagnosis. However, in the case of a suspected COVID-19 or flu infection, a nasal swab test may be required to confirm the diagnosis. Additionally, chest X-rays can help rule out other underlying conditions like bronchitis or pneumonia.
Catching a cold can be a humbling experience, reminding us of our bodies' limitations and nature's power. It reminds us that we are not invincible and must take care of ourselves. Ultimately, it is up to us to listen to our bodies, take the necessary precautions like ingesting ayurvedic medicine for allergic cough and cold & trust in the natural healing power of our immune systems.
We've compiled a list of cold and cough meds for kids & grown-ups:
- Paracetamol: Aids, fever, headache, and pains.
- Ibuprofen: This drug is proven to be effective for soar throat and earache.
- Saline drops: Saline solution helps to thin the mucus in your baby's nose, making it easier to remove.
- Vapour rubs: It helps relieve cough, & bronchitis irritation and soothe sore muscles.
- Zinc acetate lozenges: This zinc supplement helps in reducing the severity and length of cough and cold.
- Vitamin C & D: These supplements can reduce your cough and cold symptoms and help you recover more quickly.
The following is a list of the best Ayurvedic medicine for colds and coughs and foods that should be consumed during a fever.
- Basil: Helps liquefies the mucus and effectively combat bronchitis, lung diseases, and asthma.
- Thyme: It's a staple spice known for having anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and immunity-boosting properties.
- Rosemary: It is one of the old-age herbs and is the best ayurvedic medicine for cold and coughs; it works as an expectorant that relieves sore throat and cold.
- Echinacea: This frequently utilised botanical herb, commonly referred to as a dietary supplement, is recognised for its immune system-stimulating properties and is regarded as one of the best medicine for cold and cough in India.
When our body is distressed, we often forget the importance of feeding it with the right food.
- A warm, light diet with clear liquids and foods is the key to recovery. Broth-based soups can work wonders when we're feeling under the weather.
- However, it's essential to avoid processed foods, dairy products, alcohol, caffeine, fried meals, and cold edibles that can compromise our immune system.
Apart from dietary changes, there are other natural remedies which can be included in our diet which assist in boosting our immunity.
- Drinking warm water promotes digestive function, and adding honey can soothe the throat.
- Turmeric, black pepper, jaggery, tulsi leaves, and ginger can be boiled in water to create an immunity-boosting concoction.
- Steam inhalation with ajwain, eucalyptus oil, or turmeric can provide relief from respiratory distress.
- Gargling with liquorice decoction or warm water with turmeric and rock salt can help alleviate a sore throat.
It's important to remember that taking care of our body is not just about treating symptoms but also addressing the root cause of the problem.
Including anti-inflammatory foods like walnuts (in our diet) can help eliminate unchecked stress and improve our immune system.
Why Opt for Ayurvedic Treatment For Cough And Cold?
Ayurveda believes the root cause of any ailment is an imbalance of the body's three doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha).
And when it comes to cough and cold, an excess of Pitta and Kapha can lead to congestion and discomfort.
These imbalances in doshas can be caused by a range of factors, such as:
- An incorrect combination of foods.
- Toxins and changes in the environment.
The accumulation of toxins in the body can impair metabolism and digestion, while intolerance towards certain foods can trigger allergies. Ayurvedic treatments such as Vamana Panchakarma and Nasya can help to restore the balance within these doshas and eliminate toxins.
Ayurvedic Medicine for Cough And Cold
Below are the details of Ashpveda's Ayurvedic cold and cough meds for kids and adults:
Benefits of Panch Tulsi Oil
Ashpveda Panch Tulsi Oil for immunity is a powerful blend of Ayurvedic ingredients like
- Ram Tulsi
- Shyam Tulsi
- Sri Tulsi
- Seeat Tulsi
- Van Tulsi
This elixir (not only) boosts the immune system but also relieves respiratory problems like asthma, sinusitis, bronchitis, cough, and cold. By consuming this cough and cold medicine regularly, one can also improve digestion and speed up metabolism. Let nature heal you with the goodness of these all-natural ingredients duly approved by the Ministry of AYUSH.
Benefits Of Swashkoshsudha Kwath
Being one of the best ayurvedic medicine for cough and cold for children and adults, Ashpveda Swashkoshsudha Kwate is a powerful blend of natural ingredients like
- Aloe vera juice
This ayurvedic medicine for allergic cough and cold syrup (not only) provides quick relief but also strengthens the body's immunity to fight off bacterial infections.
Swashkoshsudha (best syrup for cold and cough for child) reminds India's rich heritage and knowledge of Ayurveda, a holistic approach to healing that prioritises the body's natural ability to heal itself. Trust in nature's wisdom and let Ashpveda's cough and cold syrup guide you to a healthier life.
- Ayurvedic, the ancient alternative (cold and cough medicine), may help manage cold and cough symptoms. However, consult your Ayurvedic practitioner before consuming these cold and cough medicine.
- Before adding a new herb to your diet, seek your doctor's opinion to avoid drug interactions.
- Follow dosage and duration recommendations and be mindful of potential side effects.
- Store your Ayurvedic medicines for cold and cough properly and only buy from reputable sources like Ashpveda.
- When selecting the best syrup for cold and cough for children and adults, it's essential to be wary of imitations. Constantly scrutinise the product for any signs of tampering or artificial ingredients before use.
- Stay hydrated: Water is essential for maintaining a healthy immune system. It helps flush out toxins from the body and keeps the mucous membranes moist, preventing virus entry.
- Embrace nature's remedies: Vitamins C and D are vital for boosting immunity. Incorporate oranges, cherries, bell peppers, and tomatoes into your daily diet. And as far as Vitamin D is concerned, it can be obtained from sunlight, but if that's not possible, consider taking supplements.
- Get enough sleep: A good night's sleep is crucial for overall health and immune function. Adequate rest helps the body produce immune-boosting cells that protect against seasonal illnesses like cough and cold.
- Practice mindfulness: Stress weakens the immune system, so it's important to manage it effectively. Consider incorporating mindfulness techniques like meditation or deep breathing exercises into your daily regimen.
- Exercise regularly: Physical activity can boost immunity by increasing the production of white blood cells that fight off infections. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise each day.
- Avoid smoking: Cigarettes can impair the respiratory system, as it dries out the passage of your nose, making it even harder for the body to fight cough and cold.
- Protect yourself from allergens: If you have any allergies, take the necessary steps to avoid triggers like pollen or pet dander. Wearing a mask outside, using anti-allergy medications, or consuming the best medicine for cold and cough in India can help alleviate cold and cough symptoms.
- Use natural remedies: Consider using natural remedies like steam inhalation or nasal rinses to alleviate congestion and other cold symptoms.
- Get vaccinated: Consider getting a flu shot to reduce your risk of contracting seasonal illnesses. This is especially important for those with weakened immune systems.